Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL, clusters and load-balance

Bill Wordsworth escribió:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@xxxxxxx <mailto:spam_eater@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Bill Wordsworth wrote on 25.03.2008 19:16:
    > When traffic goes up, my webserver creates multiple instances of
    > postgresql.exe. At some basic level, aren't they similar to
    Oracle's RAC
    > "clusters", except that they are not aware of each other?

    No, absolutely not. Each client request is handled by a single
    postgres process
    which is spawned by the postmaster upon connection.

Thanks Joshua and Thomas. I guess my ignorance is showing :). Anyway, is this spawning being done by postmaster or webserver or both? If postmaster, does an application-level persistent connection request communicate itself directly to the postmaster, and can the postmaster keep track of its spawning? Also, at some crude level, if I were to direct every alternate connection to a different install box of postgresql, won't that help with *some* load-balance?
Cheers, Bill
I dont know the first answer, but maybe you are needing pgpool, check it, I think that is what you are needing...