Search Postgresql Archives

PostgreSQL Replication with read-only access to standby DB

Title: PostgreSQL Replication with read-only access to standby DB

Our organization is looking for a hot-standby option for PostgreSQL that uses the WAL (transaction) data to keep the standby current and also allows the standby to be read-only accessible for reporting.  We have implemented WAL shipping through a set of scripts we developed and that works well to have a standby DB on the ready in case we need to fail over, but we are looking to increase the value of the standby server by making it available for queries.  Because of the complexities of our environment using a table/trigger based replication method such as Slony won’t work well.

It would be great if there was a solution (Open Source or Commercial) that worked in a similar manner as Oracle Active Data Guard:

“Oracle Active Data Guard enables a physical standby database to be open for read-only access – for reporting, simple or complex queries – while changes from the production database are being applied to it. This means any operation that requires up-to-date read-only access can be offloaded to the replica, enhancing and protecting the performance of the production database.”

“All queries reading from the physical replica execute in real-time, and return current results.  A Data Guard configuration consists of one production (or primary) database and up to nine standby databases.  A standby database is initially created from a backup copy of the primary database.  Once created, Data Guard automatically maintains the standby database as a synchronized copy of the primary database by transmitting primary database redo data to the standby system and then applying the redo data to the standby database.”

Does anyone know of such a solution for PostgreSQL?

Thanks,

Keaton