Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Transaction wraparound problem with database postgres

Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> Hello,
> First of all, it would help you and most of the readers on this list,
> if you have the error messages in english. There is a german
> mailinglist too, if you want to ask in german.

Sorry, I tried to describe the issue as best as I could and included the actual log entries only for completeness, but was in too much of a hurry to find the correct translations.

> vacuum all databases, add the VERBOSE option to see, what actually
> happens.

Alas, too late, I got rid of the offending 'postgres' database already by dropping and recreating.

> Are you using the database 'postgres' at all?

No, not at all. Didn't touch it ever after initdb.

> And are you sure, that you include all databases?

Yes. I run the following every night:

su postgres -c '/opt/pgsql/bin/psql -t -c "select datname from pg_database order by datname;" template1 | xargs -n 1 /opt/pgsql/bin/psql -q -c "vacuum verbose analyze;"'

> Any error messages in the vacuum output?

None.

> Oh, and by the way: why do you have autovacuum and a manual vacuum
> run every night plus the vacuum run with verbose?

Paranoia, mostly, I think. I'm using PostgreSQL since long before autovacuum was introduced and always thought that it couldn't do any harm to keep my original vacuum job running once every night, even though autovacuum does a remarkable job, especially for a couple of busy tables where the nightly vacuum was not quite enough. Plus, having the verbose output from the log, I get useful info for setting the 'max_fsm_pages'/'max_fsm_relations'-options to sensible values. Is it a problem to have cron'ed VACUUM-runs in parallel with autovacuum?

>> Urgent help would be very much appreciated.
>
> That's a bit late here ;-)

Ah, well obviously it wasn't - it's always an extremely pleasant surprise when one is actually in dire need of help and gets an almost immediate and helpful response.

I wish you all happy Easter!

Kind regards

   Markus

Computec Media AG
Sitz der Gesellschaft und Registergericht: Fürth (HRB 8818)
Vorstandsmitglieder: Johannes S. Gözalan (Vorsitzender) und Niels Herrmann
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Jürg Marquard
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE 812 575 276