Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Which JDBC version to use with PostgreSQL 8.1.11?

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:

Ok, I just thought since the version says 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 that this meant that jdbc version 8.1 should be used for db version 8.1, jdbc version 8.2 was meant for db 8.2, and so forth....

The version numbering is meant to indicate that for a 8.1 database you need at least a 8.1 JDBC driver because the driver usually needs some changes for each new server version, but we maintain compatibility with previous server versions. We maintain the older driver versions because the driver's behavior changes slightly from version to version, so people can upgrade to get bug fixes without new features/behavior changes. So if you're starting a new application with a 8.1 server, there's no reason not to use the 8.3 driver, but if you're already using the 8.1 driver, upgrading to the 8.3 driver without testing is not a good idea.

Kris Jurka