Search Postgresql Archives

Re: v8.3 + UTF8 errors when restoring DB

On 09/03/2008 18:49, Mitchell D. Russell wrote:

I think the database was set to SQL_ASCII before I dumped it, because when I did the 2^nd restore last night to a new SQL_ASCII database, it worked fine, so that’s where I am at right now, the database is running fine on 8.3 as SQL_ASCII but I don’t want to keep it like that.

As an aside, I'm wondering if you're confusing the encoding of the database and the encoding used by the client (in this case pg_dump). They are two different things; the database encoding is set at creation time, while the encoding used by the client is usually set when that client connects (with a "SET client_encoding" statement); and Postgres translates happily between the two.

Forgive me if I'm wrong....just reading between the lines. :-)

Ray.