Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Unicode comment on Postgres vs Sql Server

Swaminathan Saikumar wrote:
I am familiar with MS Sql Server & just started using Postgres.
For storing Unicode, Sql Server uses nvarchar/char for unicode, and uses char/varchar for ASCII.
Postgres has this encoding setting at the database level.

I am using UTF8 Unicode for most of my data, but there is some data that I know for sure will be ASCII. However, this is also stored as UTF8, using up more space.

This is wrong - ASCII is a subset of UTF8 and therefore uses
exactly one byte for every ASCII char.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8 for example.

At first sight, it looks like the the more granular level design is better. Any comments? If you agree, does it make sense to add this as a new datatype to Postgres?

Which new datatype?

Regards
Tino

      match