Search Postgresql Archives

Re: SERIAL and Primary Key

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Mike Gould <mgould@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> CREATE TABLE "fav5"."batchnumber" (
>   "batchnumberid" SERIAL NOT NULL,
>   "processtype" SMALLINT NOT NULL,
>   "termloc" CHAR(3) NOT NULL,
>   "batchno" INTEGER NOT NULL
> ) WITHOUT OIDS;
>
> With the above table definition, is batchnumberid by default also defined as
> the primary key or do I still need to define a separate Primary Key
> constraint?

Once upon a time a serial type was assumed to be a PK (or was that
unique not null???) automagically.  However, this was considered bad
form since some uses of sequence did not need those extra settings.

Serial is JUST serial nowadays, and has been for quite some time.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend