Search Postgresql Archives

Removing Users and Revoking Privileges

To All,

I am running Postgres version 7.4.19. One thing I wanted to do and have successfully completed is changing the ownership of a Postgres database and all of its tables to a new owner. I have also successfully granted access privileges to the new owner. What I have been unable to do successfully is to remove two users who should no longer have access to the database or its tables. As super user postgres, I have attempted to REVOKE access privileges for those two users, but to no avail. The REVOKE command appears to work and does not generate an error message, however, upon inspection the two users remain and continue to have all of the same access privileges they had before executing the REVOKE command.

I do not know what user originally created the database. I have though attempted to revoke privileges as not only user postgres, but also as the new owner of the data base, as well as both of the two users for which I wish to revoke access privileges.

The two users I want to remove or, at least revoke privileges for, are also associated with other databases, so I don't believe I can simply do a DROP USER. If I do that, I may wind up negatively impacting other Postgres databases.

Let me know, if you have any ideas.

Thanks
begin:vcard
fn:Carl McCalla
n:McCalla;Carl
org:Meteorological Development Lab (MDL);National Weather Service
adr;dom:;;;Silver Spring;MD
title:MDL XML Services Task Leader/MDL SCEP Coordinator
tel;work:(301) 713-1065 x 169
tel;fax:(301) 713-9316
version:2.1
end:vcard