Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to monitor the progress of a stored procedure?

Kynn Jones wrote:
I have a stored procedure that has been running for a very long time. Before doing the current "real" run, I tested the procedure on a toy case and confirmed that it produced the right result. So I know that when it finishes it will be OK, but I can't tell whether it will finish in an hour or in a century... I have no idea of how far along it is. (In case it matters, the procedure is written in PL/perl. I tried to use Perl's print statement, unbuffered, to print out a message periodically from within the procedure, but I see no output.)

When I print() from PL/Perl, the messages show up in the PostgreSQL log file. It's not an obvious place, but it makes sense because PL/Perl functions aren't always called from interactive terminals. Did you look there?

Colin

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq