Search Postgresql Archives

Re: utf8 issue

Tom Hart wrote:
Hello everybody. I recently converted my db from ASCII encoding to UTF8 (we have a lot of spanish-speaking members, and need the extra character support). Everything was working great, but I noticed this error, while trying to COPY one of our tables from a csv.

ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xb9

Not converted, I fear.

Why not use latin9 rather than utf8 - that should cover everything and is probably what it's in anyway.

Is there anything I can do to look for these sorts of errors and fix them? I'm really not great with character encodings and I'm not sure where to go on this. Any help?

Google a bit for iconv (and postgresql) to get your characters valid.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd