Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [SQL] Deploying PostgreSQL on virtualized hardware

TJ O'Donnell wrote:
I've been running PostgreSQL on a virtual server for several years
now.  I'm using VMWare with a Windows host and Linux guest.  I've
configured it to let Linux use a raw partition as a disk.  Before I
used a separate partition, the virtual disk had been a Windows
file.  Using the disk partition increased performance, but I don't
recall now exactly how much. This is a small setup with a handful
of users. The database contains only dozens of tables, but some
have ~8 million rows.  I've allocated 1Mb of RAM to the virtual
machine.

TJ,

Thanks for your input. I was asking more about hosted elastic servers, like those provided by the Xen hypervisor, though.

(BTW, how did this end up on the SQL list? I'm going to put it back on the general list. :) )

Colin

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend