Search Postgresql Archives

Re: autovacuum not freeing up unused space on 8.3.0

Stuart Brooks wrote:
It'll take a few minutes but I'll try and get the information to you. A summary is:

Process 1:
- writing 50 rows/second, 1 row/transaction.
- every so often delete 100 rows

Process 2:
- running ANALYZE VERBOSE and pg_total_relation_size every second

The result is that autovacuum appears to be canceled.

Why do have a second process that does an analyze every second? That seems like overkill and also if you let autovacuum do it, then it will play better with vacuums when needed. If you need autovacuum to analyze more aggressively on this table you can change the table specific thresholds.

I know that before 8.3 autovacuum wouldn't always keep up on tables like this, but as of 8.3 with multiple simultaneous workers etc, it should be much better.