Search Postgresql Archives

Re: autovacuum not freeing up unused space on 8.3.0

It'll take a few minutes but I'll try and get the information to you. A summary
is:

Process 1:
- writing 50 rows/second, 1 row/transaction.
- every so often delete 100 rows

Process 2:
- running ANALYZE VERBOSE and pg_total_relation_size every second

You'll probably have to vacuum pg_statistics as well then.

I presume because of the frequent ANALYZEs? In my real-world application I won't be running ANALYZE manually like this. I am only using it as a quick hack to get a picture of the dead rows in the various tables so I could get a feel for what was happening, and it seems that this is what is causing a conflict with the autovacuum...