Search Postgresql Archives

Re: reindexing

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:24 PM, LARC/J.L.Shipman/jshipman
<Jeffery.L.Shipman@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>         I am reindexing my 7.1.4 postgres database.  The postmaster seems to
>  create processes for each reindex request.  Is there any way to find
>  out more about the processes.
>
>  ps -aef | grep postgres
>
>  yields the following, but does not tell me which table is being
>  reindexed or anything meaningful
>  about the process.

My pgsql-fu regarding obsolete versions is obsolete.  You do realize
that 7.1.x hasn't been supported for a very long time, and for very
good reasons, right?  It's not just obsolete in terms of being
outdated by more modern versions, but is known to have a few data
eating bugs, not to mention the txid wraparound issue.  You should be
planning on how to upgrade it first, then things like this might be
less necessary and / or less of a problem to work with.

In later versions of pgsql you've got a stats collector that can do
things like tell you what queries are running.  As well as
autovacuuming and non-full vacuums that make things like reindexing
mostly uneeded.