Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Selecting large objects stored as bytea

Ludger Zachewitz wrote:
Hello,

I have the following problem accessing postgres (version: 8.2.X) from
java 1.6_03 using driver (currently version:
postgresql-8.2-508.jdbc4.jar) and hope someone can help me. I have
created an table 'files' with the columns 'file_id', 'filename' and
'file_content'. 'file_content'is of type bytea and should store large
binary files. A method for storing files in that table also exists
and work fine.

Now I am trying to select a stored 'file_content' from the table and
store it directly on the filesystem. Because the files could be very
large, i don't want to hold them in the main memory -- so I am using
Input- and Outputstreams (see source code below).

If you don't want the whole field at once, you don't want a bytea. The large-object interface offers lo_read/lo_write to let you grab data in smaller chunks.

See the manuals for details, I'm afraid I'm not sure of the procedure for accessing lo_read from JDBC.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend