Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Question about the enum type

On Feb 18, 2008, at 12:10 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

Would it have been reasonable to expect some kind of notice or warning
message stating that 'position' was special, and
<double-quote>position<double-quote> would be used instead?

The way you phrase that makes me think you misunderstand what's
happening here.  The name of the type isn't "position" with double
quotes, it's just position.  You have to double-quote it when you
use it to prevent the parser from thinking that the special SQL
POSITION function call syntax is coming up.  There are other ways
to do that though, for example if you write public.position (or whatever
schema it's in) then you won't need double quotes.

I did misunderstand. I understand now that the quotes are used to call out the string literally, and to avoid syntax-related parsing. Thanks for the help.

Tim

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster