Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Pains in upgrading to 8.3

Magnus Hagander wrote:

For the case of upgrading, it wouldn't work. But there are certainly other cases where it would help. Say from your central pgadmin console administering 10 servers from 3 different major release trees :-(

It can be done with commandline pg_dump, but it means you have to have three different installs on your management or backup or whatever machine. Those cases would certainly be easier if you could just call a backup API on the server that would feed you the data... (yes, there are ways to do it with ssh tunneling and whatever, but that's yet another external service that has to be set up and configured)

I'm not saying it's worth the work and potential downsides, just that there are clear upsides :-)

Exactly, I didn't necessarily mean the blogger had a point about upgrades in general, just that pg_dump had room for improvement.

Hey maybe a backup API is something for the Google Summer of Code thing, it would be really nice to have, and make general backups much easier from a admin point of view.

Later,

Tony

              http://archives.postgresql.org/