Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Maximum realistic number of database user accounts?

On Feb 14, 2008, at 11:16 AM, Greg Fausak wrote:

Howdy,

I find that user accounts are very good for
helping me protect application access to the database.
That is, instead of giving a user 1 account, I may give hem
10, and each of those accounts are restricted in the database
in different ways.  Anyway, I'm wondering what the maximum number of
user accounts can
be in a postgres database?

Can I create a database with 1 million login roles and expect performance to
be good? 10 million?

Thanks,
-g

You really expect your users to remember 10 different logins? No offense, but that's crazy talk and a user management nightmare. What you should probably be doing is:

1. Give each user 1 login role (a user account) (probably with INHERIT privileges). 2. Create non-login roles (groups) for each set of privileges that user can have and make your grants/revokes here. 3. Grant membership to your user roles in which ever group roles are appropriate for them. 3a. If you've given the login roles INHERIT privileges then they'll automatically inherit the privileges of whatever group roles they now have membership in.

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888