Search Postgresql Archives

Re: SELECT CAST(123 AS char) -> 1

On 2008-02-12 16:17, Ken Johanson wrote:
Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) wrote:

I'm guessing you declare an explicit length of 1 (for portability), or do you "CAST (x as char)"? And one might ask in what context we'd need CHAR(1) on a numeric type, or else if substr/ing or left() make the code more readable for other data types..

Actually, I just write "CHAR" for a length of 1.

> What is wrong with using VARCHAR for your purpose????????????????????????????

Simply that a commonly used database (my) does not support it.

By "my", do you mean "MySQL", or "MyDatabase"? If the latter, then while it's your business decision (and/or that of your customers), the availability of decent, free databases should make a compelling case for anyone using anything else, to migrate (and never look back) to something full-featured.

It's like requiring portable C code to use the old, pre-ANSI style of function declarations, because some old C compilers might not support the ANSI style. I think Richard Stallman of the FSF takes that position, but I don't know of anyone else (although I'm sure there are exceptions).