Search Postgresql Archives

Re: WINDOWS INSTALLATION TIPS

Dave Page wrote:
On Feb 12, 2008 8:19 AM, Richard Huxton <dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
b) postgres database server will not install as an user with administrator
rights.
Indeed not. Or rather, it won't run as an administrator. I think you
should be able to run the installer as Administrator and tell it to do
the next step for you. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually 8.2 and above will (quite safely) on Windows:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_windows.html#2.3

For the technically minded it does so by creating a restricted
security token from which all administrative group memberships are
removed and then re-execs itself using that token. The child process
doesn't have the privileges to re-elevate itself which is what makes
it safe.

So it still appears in process lists as belonging to e.g. "Adminstrator" but has restricted perms? Ingenious, but a bit fiddly for a server daemon for my tastes. Fortunately, I can safe safely on the *nix side of the fence most of the time nowadays.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

      match