Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Is PG a moving target?

Ken Johanson wrote:
Magnus Hagander wrote:

PG uses a different versioning system than this one?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning#Numeric

Or do you mean the changes are not minor? :-)

Yes, we use the one stated on our site, not wikipedia ;)

See: http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning

Thank you, I understand now.

"A major release is numbered by increasing either the first or second part of the version number, e.g. 8.1 to 8.2."

Good.

That's not to say that your concerns aren't valid, btw. To answer your original question, I haven't heard of a way to make it act like 8.2 wrt the casting, because most people feel it's better to fix the issues in the application than to apply band-aid.

And yes, similar things may happen for 8.4, but there's nothing out there yet that we *know* will make such a change.

//Magnus

      match