Search Postgresql Archives

Postgres with daemontools or similar

Greetings everyone.

I would like to know what the correct position is on the use of Postgres with
DJB's daemontools or other monitoring prgrams?

I tried to set it up the other day and was successful in getting it to start
and log, and even refresh the config files, but I could not get it to
shutdown.

I have to assume (although possibly incorrectly) that because I was using
Apache and PHP with persistent Postgres connections, that the problem I was
seeing (via svstat, ps) was those connections refusing to shut down,
primarily because I could see no facility to include the -m fast switch and
option.

So before I go tackling this any further, is monitoring Postgres with
daemontools even a good idea?  It sounds good but I have concerns how it
would handle a computer shutdown.  I'm also concerned that without a method
to notify me, it could shutdown and restart a thousand times an hour and I
would never know if there was an issue.  I was also looking into monit.

What is the best way to monitor the postmaster and notify or restart on
problems?  What solutions have other SysAdmin's incorporated successfully?