Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine

As for the real problem (on the same hardware), when you rebuilt
Postgres on your new machine did you change any of the configure
options that MacPorts would have used from what would have been used
previously (I assume they can be overridden)?

There's not that much that can be overridden that would affect the
layout of pg_control.  The only other thing I can think of at the
moment is that moving from 32-bit to 64-bit time_t can screw things
up --- but that shouldn't affect the interpretation of the pg_control
version number, which as already noted certainly looks like it's the
wrong endianness.

Stefan, could you post the actual pg_control file as a binary
attachment?

The "old" pg_control file is attached...

So, I am one step further, that is, I installed Tiger - and then Postgres 8.1 - on a PPC MacMini.

After running initdb the postmaster started smoothly. I stopped it, copied my database files into the same location, started the postmaster again, and then got this error message:

schwarzers-mac-mini:/usr/local/pgsql schwarzer$ /usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l postgres.log start pg_ctl: could not open PID file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/ postmaster.pid": Permission denied

As one can see from the following listing, there is no "postmaster.pid". And the settings seemed to be (for me) the same as in the old database tree:

schwarzers-mac-mini:/usr/local/pgsql schwarzer$ ls -l
total 0
drwx------   16 postgres  admin   544 Jan 23 18:23 data
drwx------   15 postgres  admin   510 Jan 23 17:50 data.orig

schwarzers-mac-mini:/usr/local/pgsql/data postgres$ ls -l
total 64
-rw-------    1 postgres  admin      4 Jan 23 18:23 PG_VERSION
drwx------   11 postgres  admin    374 Jan 23 18:23 base
drwx------   27 postgres  admin    918 Jan 23 18:23 global
drwx------   23 postgres  admin    782 Jan 23 18:23 pg_clog
-rw-------    1 postgres  admin   3396 Jan 23 18:23 pg_hba.conf
-rw-------    1 postgres  admin   1460 Jan 23 18:23 pg_ident.conf
drwx------    4 postgres  admin    136 Jan 23 18:23 pg_multixact
drwx------    3 postgres  admin    102 Jan 23 18:23 pg_subtrans
drwx------    2 postgres  admin     68 Jan 23 18:23 pg_tblspc
drwx------    2 postgres  admin     68 Jan 23 18:23 pg_twophase
drwx------   11 postgres  admin    374 Jan 23 18:23 pg_xlog
-rw-------    1 postgres  admin  13614 Jan 23 18:23 postgresql.conf
-rw-------    1 postgres  admin     74 Jan 23 18:23 postmaster.opts

schwarzers-mac-mini:/usr/local/pgsql/data.orig postgres$ ls -l
total 64
-rw-------    1 postgres  admin      4 Jan 23 17:49 PG_VERSION
drwx------    5 postgres  admin    170 Jan 23 17:49 base
drwx------   28 postgres  admin    952 Jan 23 17:50 global