Search Postgresql Archives

Re: altering foreign keys

On Jan 22, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Adam Rich wrote:

In my database, I have a core table that nearly all other tables
key against.  Now I need to adjust all of those foreign keys to
add a "on update cascade" action.  Is there a way to alter the
existing keys? (it didn't jump out at me in the manual)

If not, is there a serious issue preventing this feature?

If I have to drop and re-create all of the foreign keys, is it
possible to wrap the whole operation in a transaction without
risking invalid inserts in the referring tables? (I come from
an Oracle background, where DDL causes an implicit commit)

DDL in Postgres is transactional so your second option will work just fine.

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888