Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Views and permissions

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Schr=F6der?= <cs@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Albe Laurenz wrote:
>> This is strange because ts_frontend can select from "EDITORS" because
>> of the membership to role zert_readers.
>>
> No, the user "ts_frontend" is (was) not a member of the group
> "zert_readers", but the user "www" who uses the view is. Until now I
> always thought that the user that *uses* the view must have the
> appropriate privileges, but it seems to depend also on the privileges of
> the user that *defines* the view.

Table accesses done by a view are checked according to the privileges
of the owner of the view, not of whoever invoked the view.  It's a
bit inconsistent because function calls done in the view are not handled
that way (though I hope we change them to match, someday).

> Ok, I have found my mistake: During migration of the roles, I did not
> handle roles the way it should have been. I only migrated group
> memberships for users, but not for other groups. Maybe I should correct
> my migration script and remove the distinction between users and groups
> at all. Or is there a way to migrate the roles using the PostgreSQL
> tools? I normally dump the databases one by one (using "pg_dump" and not
> "pg_dumpall"), so the system catalogs (especially the roles) must be
> transferred separately.

You can use "pg_dumpall -g" to get a dump of just global objects (roles
and tablespaces).  If you do want to stick to hand-rolled scripts, then
yeah, you need to take another look at it.  Since 8.1 there is very
little difference between users and groups --- they are all roles, and
the only actual difference is the default settings of their LOGIN and
INHERITS flags.  See the CREATE ROLE reference page for details.

			regards, tom lane

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster