Search Postgresql Archives

Re: example query for postgresql

On Jan 19, 2008, at 12:22 PM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:

Is there a place that gives examples of all the kind of queries
postgresql support?

Sometimes I think if there is a way to obtain a result in just one
statement without writing a function and it would be nice to have a
panoramic of all the strategies I could try for single statements.

The SQL reference
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-commands.html
isn't inspirational every time

Even if it is not exactly what I'm looking for a sort of "one liner"
as the one you find for perl, sed, awk...

As an example of things the kind of things I'm looking for:

You're best bets are to a. post questions to the pgsql-sql mailing list when you've got an idea that something you've written could be done better, b. get some books demonstrating different query techniques and read through them (O'Reilly has a couple of really good ones such as SQL Hacks), and c. practice. You're not going to find any definitive list of everything you can do with Postgresql as it's virtually unlimited.

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888