Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine

I re-installed my machine and "forgot" to dump my database(s). I
naturally still have the whole database folders. For the moment I
installed the "old" postgres version (8.1) to be able to read my data.
But how can I read them? It seems that it doesn't work that I just
overwrite the new database folder with the old one... Would be too
simple, I guess...

Should work, if you've got the whole $PGDATA directory tree.  Maybe
you forgot to stop the postmaster while copying the backup into place?

Thanks a lot for this. Still trying. But although the postmaster did run at one time, now, after copying back and forth, it doesn't want to do anything anymore... Gush, getting really frustrated...

Stef

              http://archives.postgresql.org/