Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Query to get column-names in table via PG tables?

I am looking for expertise on how to program the equivalent to this
query, but using the pg_catalog tables, which I understand have fewer
security restrictions than information_schema in some cases:

SELECT column_name
FROM information_schema.columns
WHERE table_catalog=? AND table_schema=? AND table_name=?
ORDER BY ordinal_position

Do what psql does...launch it with psql -E, and it will echo any
internal queries it makes back to you.  Do \d on a couple of tables
and you should see what is going on.

The output of this is very verbose and broken into multiple queries making joins difficult for me to understand, I'm afraid; my current experience level likely will not reliably produce a single-query equivalent to the above.

I have to again ask for designer expertise on this one. Also a factor is that since the query will be hard coded into a driver, knowledge of how to make it most durable across server versions would be a benefit (assuming the underlying tables change?).

Thank you,
Ken

      match