Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to automate password requests?

Hello,

Read about something called the .pgpass file. There's a way to set a file that contains the password (pgAdmin will create one autmoatically) that pgsql will look for before it asks for your password. It's stored in ~/

The solution I use is a bat file that redefines an environment variable (PGPASSFILE) that points to the file, then runs pg_dumpall.

is there no way to specify the password directly? I don't like to create a separate file because all config is done in a shell script. I could set a certain environment variable with the password, but does pgadmin read a password from such a variable? If yes, what is its name?

Regards
Marten