Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Query to get column-names in table via PG tables?

I am looking for expertise on how to program the equivalent to this query, but using the pg_catalog tables, which I understand have fewer security restrictions than information_schema in some cases:

SELECT column_name
FROM information_schema.columns
WHERE table_catalog=? AND table_schema=? AND table_name=?
ORDER BY ordinal_position

I need this to lookup the column names and their ordinal position for a given table (implementing a driver call).

Just curious... but why is ordinal position important here?

Because the API spec (JDBC) for the driver supports an argument of column indexes (int array) which are the table's natural position. This is to specify which columns' auto-generated keys to return.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/sql/Statement.html#executeUpdate(java.lang.String,%20int[])

So in this case I must pre-fetch the column names from the indexes, and append a RETURNING clause. Inefficient but the only strategy I know of.

I wont argue if this API is somewhat dubious in ordinary applications, but the interface requires it be implemented anyway.

Ken

      match