Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Experiences with extensibility

Sim Zacks wrote:

We use postgresql because it is open source, we have in-house experience to deal with it so we don't have any extra support costs and we don't need the features that are offered in commercial products that PostGreSQL does not have. We also don't need the speed that commercial products offer that is missing in PostgreSQL.

I use PostgreSQL because it has a ton of features the closed source products don't offer and is generally faster than the closed source solutions.

Granted there are scenarios where others are FASTER (SELECT COUNT(*)) but I find that if you are doing those items, you normally have a weird design anyway.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster