Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Memory on 32bit machine

Greg Smith wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

Certainly and iptables gives you some flexibility in connection availability "before" it hits the actual database but without having to jimmy the production firewall.

4) Funky tricks with things like port forwarding and filtering that you can't do with PostgreSQL alone, and that need to be active for people in the internal LAN. I recall this one time where I needed the database port to be different based on which of the local subnets the connection was coming through (it was a version migration thing). Those were some fun ipchains rules (yeah, that long ago) and I'd have been hard pressed to do that on the firewall instead without a major contortion to the network.

Some people won't like this but... packet shaping and bandwidth control as well.

Joshua D. Drake

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD