Search Postgresql Archives

Re: WAL Sequence

Ashish Karalkar <ashish_postgre@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> As far as my understanding every new WAL segment created is numerically greater than the previous one,but below out show the WAL 13 is created after wal 14,15,16,17,18,19  checked by creation time.

You're in error to assume that the creation times are always matched to
the file names.

What is actually happening here is that the 00013 file is the latest in
actual use, and the ones that are named numerically higher are available
to use but haven't yet been written into.  Their mod times correspond to
when they were last written into under their former names as prior
segments.

			regards, tom lane

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq