Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to handle 'not a number' in postgresql

On Jan 4, 2008, at 10:00 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:

Maybe we have a difference in semantics that is dependent upon
the application.

The distinction can be important, as SQL has only partially implemented 3-valued logic (TRUE/FALSE/UNKNOWN) and treats NULL in sometimes unexpected ways. NaN could be a useful value to distinguish between truly unknown quantities (say, that particular machine was not taking measurements during a particular test) and those where you've received a value from a machine and it's NaN. But I agree, it does depend on the application.

Michael Glaesemann
michael.glaesemann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

              http://archives.postgresql.org/