Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Efficiency vs. code bloat for SELECT wrappers

Sam Mason wrote:
Luckily I've been able to design most of the programs I work on as
relatively simple layers over a database, I'm not sure if you're able to
work like this.

I'm not at liberty to divulge much of the application concept, but consider, if you will, an application like Gmail or any other web-based mail service.

I'm venturing a guess that the database code in Gmail scripts isn't overly-complicated, and there are probably a handful of "task categories" that get executed by the application. Folder operations might be lumped into one category, and SMTP operations into another, for example. Each category probably has a few variations, like retrieving an email with or without full headers. Overall, though, I would wager that the front-end, UI-type stuff in Gmail is much more complicated than the database code, especially with all the Javascript it uses (though, I suspect most of that is relatively static code).

This is roughly the distribution of code I'm implementing: lots of web stuff with only a few database hits per page, most of which are SELECT queries.

So, really, I don't think my application would be considered to be "relatively simple layers over a database", since the UI part will be so full-featured. I doubt I would ever see 5-10% of the lines accessing the database in this application. A better estimate would probably be around 1% or 1.5%.

My guess, having written this, is that your approach might be more useful for applications that rely heavily on interaction with a database. I'd appreciate any more comments you have on this, though.

Colin

      match