Search Postgresql Archives

Re: user name and password woes

Richard Huxton wrote:
Charles Mortell wrote:

The dawg that originally set up postgres 8.0 on one of our Windows 2003
servers has left the company, and I have taken it over.
    I need to use pg_dump on that server. When I try to, I get ‘user
"Administrator" does not exist.’
Next I try ‘createuser –U postgres –W administrator –P’. The response is
‘ERROR:  user "administrator" already exists.’

Hmm - is it the capital "A" here? I notice the second attempt has "a".

No, the database users are completely separate from OS users. By convention, "postgres" is the OS user of the process and superuser for the DB, but you could change it if you wanted to.

I've a feeling that Charles is invoking pg_dump without specifying the user. The default will assume the current *OS* user. Thus, "Administrator" and the "does not exist" error. Try doing:

pg_dump -S administrator ...

(using the postgres-specific administrator user).

brian

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend