Search Postgresql Archives

Re: jdbc lob and postgresql

Kris Jurka, 13.12.2007 08:24:
Using a PreparedStatement with setBinaryStream() to insert the blob and getBinaryStream() to read the BLOB works fine for me.

It depends how you want to handle binary data on the server side. get/setBinaryStream only work with the bytea data type. getBlob/setBlob only work with real large objects (oid data type). Both methods work, it's just a tradeoff on how you want handle it on the server. The API downside of Blob is that only JDBC4 offers a portable way to create a Blob (Connection.createBlob) and the pg driver does not implement that yet.

I just looked through the manual but could not find an "oid data type". I thought that oids were some kind of unique row "address" (at least that's what http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/datatype-oid.html sates as far as I can tell)

Can you point me to the manual for these types of BLOBs are described? The "Data Types" chapter does not list them as far as I can tell.

Background: I'm maintaining a SQL front end (Java/JDBC based) which supports reading and writing of BLOBs and I would like to make sure that I also support these "oid data type" BLOBs

Regards
Thomas