Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Hijack!

On Dec 11, 2007, at 8:43 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:31:40 +0000
"Raymond O'Donnell" <rod@xxxxxx> wrote:

// >>>>
Please note in particular the following points of netiquette:

* Don't top-post, as it makes for confusing reading.

* Don't start a new thread by replying to an old one, because [insert
suitable technical explanation here].

Failure to observe the above may result in your question going
unanswered. // <<<<<

O.k. this might be a bit snooty but frankly it is almost 2008. If you
are still a top poster, you obviously don't care about the people's
content that you are replying to, to have enough wits to not top post.

However, I would also note that in "windows" world, it is very common
to top post. I am constantly retraining very smart, just very ignorant
customers.

In the business world it's common to top-post and not cut previous content
- and often appropriate, as it tends to be a communication between a
smaller number of people, and the uncut content provides context for
future reference.

Those who rant about anyone who top posts, or state that you should
never top-post are mostly clueless or arrogant, or are making over-broad
generalizations.

That's an entirely different thing to observing that while on the broader internet you should follow local etiquette, and that here (as on most technical lists that have a fair number of posters with an, uh, old-school background) part of that is the points listed above.
(And I'd probably add "and trim your response appropriately - removing
stuff not needed for context, but leaving enough to have enough context").

Cheers,
  Steve