Search Postgresql Archives

Re: WAL shipping question

On Dec 5, 2007, at 1:39 PM, SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH wrote:

> This basically archives the data in the primary server itself...right!!! > But how can I set up continuous archiving from primary to a directory
> (WAL archive directory) on the stand-by server ?

>>The closest thing to a worked out example of how to do this I'm aware of
>>is at http://archives.postgresql.org/sydpug/2006-10/msg00001.php

I tried this example
I have the primary and standby server setup. The primary server is archiving the wal segments in the standby server's directory. My question is that, as per that example in step 15 the standby server should gives messages in its log whenever some WAL activity is triggered in the master. I see the archive directory in standby server getting filled up, but there are no log messages generated. Whay? What am I missing here?

Make sure you're looking in the whatever location you have postgres configured to log in. If you're still not seeing log messages there, then you've done something wrong.

Also what does step 16 mean in that above example?
" To initiate a failover from the master to the slave, create the 'trigger file':
touch ~/pg82demo/trigger
This should immediately cause the slave to finish processing archived
segments, exit  recovery mode, and come up ready for use "

touch is a *nix utility (maybe on windows, too?) that simply creates a file if it doesn't exist. In the example standby implementation in the linked post, the recovery.sh script looks for the existence of that file named trigger in pg82demo/ and, if it sees it, brings the standby out of recovery mode and into normal operation.

Does the wal archives are applied to the standby server at this point and it has all the
contents(tables,indexes,tabledata etc) at this point?

If you're not getting log output to the effect of wals being replayed, then no.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888