Search Postgresql Archives

Re: HA and Replication - how to choose among all the available solutions

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 04:16:04PM +0100, Pascal Cohen wrote:
needs fast connections like fiber channels ? What is the impact on I/O and general DB perfs ? - Sorry if my question is stupid - not an expert on such things.
And I suppose it is not very cheap ;)

Well, if you think you're going to get high performance and super
redundancy on cheap hardware, you need to think again.  ECC memory isn't
cheap either, but if you care about your data, you have to decide whether
it really needs to be protected.

No, you don't necessarily need fibre.  Some people do this over copper-based
LAN links.

That is not what I meant.
For example if my DB is 2Gb large, I probably don't need 32Gb RAM.
The same way, if I can get a fast and reliable system with copper based LAN and not Fiber-Channel, this can save some money that can be used somewhere else for better use (CPU/RAM for example). Currently I am not concerned with prices. I am trying to gather as much information as I can in order to be able to give good "recommendations" or advices when I could be asked for. So there are things I can test (mainly softwares) but testing hardware is less easy.

Thanks

Pascal