Search Postgresql Archives

full_page_writes = off?

Hi, would full_page_writes=off increase the risk of inconsistency or db corruption in 8.3 and FreeBSD 7?

fsync = on;
Definitely "on", as single power outage after three years is guaranteed to make your life interesting otherwise.

synchronous_commit = off;
Can be "off" in my case as I'm not doing any "external" actions based on transaction's success or failure (if I understand the docs correctly). So I don't care at which moment the evil strikes as long as the db is consistent.

full_page_writes = off;
AFAIK when this is "on" it means synchronous WAL writing with less impact, as it occurs once per checkpoint, but it's still synchronous. Not sure at all about this one. How would FreeBSD 7's UFS survive the power crash etc. with this set to "off"? OTOH, does "on" play well with synchronous_commit=off? Meaning, will the transaction holder get success immediately on commit, still guaranteeing consistency?

Thanks for any insights or clarifying missed points.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend