Search Postgresql Archives

Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance (now Solaris)

> Only under Solaris.  With Linux or BSD on it it ran pretty well.  I
> had a Sparc 20 running RH 7.2 back in the day (or whatever the last
> version of RH that ran on sparc was) that spanked an Ultra-2 running
> slowalrus with twice the memory and hard drives handily.
> > Solaris has gotten much better since then, I'm sure.

Ubuntu is supposed to be able to spin on a T1000/T2000 and they have come out with a magical beast called Solaris 10 and in Sun's infinite wisdom they have decided to abandon the /etc/init.d/ and friends way of startup for some complex XML way of doing things. But otherwise its quite good (ZFS and Cool Thread servers being among the other good things out of Sun's shop).

Anybody here running postgresql on a T1000?  What OS, and how is it?

Cheers,
   Jeremy