Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance

> In general, you can expect any Unix based OS, which includes MacOS X, to
> perform noticeably better than Windows for PostgreSQL.

Is that really true of BSD UNIXen??? I've certainly heard it's true of
Linux. But with BSD you have the "kernel funnel" which can severely limit
multitasking, regardless of whether threads or processes were used. Apple
has been working toward finer-grained locking precisely because that was a
serious bottleneck which limited OS X server performance.

Or have I misunderstood and this was only the design of one particular
flavor of BSD, not BSDen in general?

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx