Search Postgresql Archives

Re: replication in Postgres

Jeff Larsen wrote:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Glyn Astill wrote:

Yes, but I'd like something better than "near real time" as the above
page describes. Or maybe someone could clarify that.... Besides,
EnterpriseDB does not save me enough money.

Well do what EnterpriseDB does :) use Slony. Which is free of course.

In my current commercial
DB, if a transaction is committed on the master, it is guaranteed to
be committed to the secondary. In our business, losing one customer
order could lose us the customer for good.

Well in a proper asynchronous environment this is possible, e.g; if it gets successfully replicated it will commit on the slave.

However synchronous is obviously the fool proof way to go about this as you won't get a commit until everyone commits.

Now, if you really want to make your life cheap :)

Use PostgreSQL + Slony on two nodes, then run a third node explicitly for use with drdbd which is synchronous block level replication.

No license fees :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Jeff