Search Postgresql Archives

ODBC, access, and joins

Hi again everybody. I've got kind of a weird one today (the more complicated my db gets, the stranger the questions). I've built a data mine backend to replace our access data mine (eww, I know), but we'd like to still be able to use access to get to the tables, and write queries/reports/etc. against them. I've set up the ODBC driver (the "official" driver, from http://pgfoundry.org/projects/psqlodbc/) and it connects and pulls the data out just fine, considerably quicker than access natively. The problem I'm having is that anything defined as a "text" datatype in postgres gets converted to a "memo" datatype in access, and when we attempt to perform a join query on that field access starts complaining about not being able to join on a field with a "memo" type. I think this might be a bug in the odbc driver, but I want to check my bases. Has anybody else run into this issue, or heard anything about the odbc driver having problems with datatypes in access? There's a couple other weird conversions, like boolean to text (with a number value) but I've been able to manage most of them.

Also, I did try ODBCng after I read a couple reports on the performance numbers, but I found it didn't have the same ldap support the official one did, and that's a pretty big necessity for us. Any help would be much appreciated. TIA

Thomas R. Hart II
tomhart@xxxxxxxxxxx

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq