Search Postgresql Archives

Re: best way to handle enum type

Bruce Momjian wrote:
Tom Hart wrote:
On a side note, I was just reading through the 8.3 changelog, (where I read about the enum datatype) and I noticed this line

    *

      Widen the MONEY data type to 64 bits (D'Arcy Cain)

      This greatly increases the range of supported MONEY values.

I may be mistaken, but when I started developing this system (a data mine for a financial institution) I was told that the money datatype was deprecated and should not be used. Is this datatype still being worked on, and would it be viable to use in my development, as it is currently or in preparation for 8.3?

Uh, yea, we did discuss this during 8.3 development, and you will see in
the 8.3 docs that MONEY is no longer marked as depricated.

	http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/datatype-money.html

Basically MONEY had some major limitations but now someone is working on
improve it so we probably will keep it.

We still have these TODO items for MONEY:

* Add locale-aware MONEY type, and support multiple currencies

  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-08/msg01432.php
  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-03/msg01181.php

* MONEY dumps in a locale-specific format making it difficult to
  restore to a system with a different locale
Ok, that's pretty much what I was told. Our data mine doesn't need to be aware of other locales/monetary formats atm, but given the changes that are happening with the datatype, I think I'll just have to stick with numeric(12,2). Are those TODO items scheduled to be worked on in 8.4 or are they more of a 'someday' item?

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster