Search Postgresql Archives

Query re disk usage

I'm running PG 8.3beta3 on a W2K3 server.

I've set up a tablespace on D drive, with PG itself on C drive and loaded a bunch of data into a database to test. The directory I've created the tablespace in on D drive grows to 116Mb - which would be about right for the amount of data I've plugged in. (pg_size_pretty(pg_database(size()) certainly corroborates that value anyway)

I note however, that the pg_database directory on C drive also grows at the same time to 116MB.

If I truncate the table I've added the data to, both directories shrink down to around 7 or so Kb.

Why is PG apparently storing my data twice? Is this some sort of redundancy thing I haven't heard about or have I got something configured incorrectly? Or am I misinterpreting the way table-spaces are handled?

The tablespace was set up thusly:
CREATE TABLESPACE "ts_autodrs_main"
  OWNER "AutoDRS"
  LOCATION 'D:/Database/AutoDRS/Data';

And the table in question defined as:
create table job_classification (
	dealer_id text  not null ,
	date_changed timestamp null ,
	time_changed time null ,
	job_id text  not null ,
	des text ,
	user_id text  null,
        access_reports_processed text
) WITHOUT OIDS TABLESPACE ts_autodrs_main
;

Cheers,
P.

--