Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Tom thinks it's bad code was 8.3 vs 8.2 sql compatibility issue

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
in the least.
If you post publicly something that is that ugly, then it is going to
get critiqued. It is that simple. You don't like it, don't post.

I have more than once taken my beatings on this list. It is time for
you to either grow a thicker skin or unsubscribe.

Joshua D. Drake

- --
			UNIQUE NOT NULL

I absolutely agree. The fact of the matter is that you came here asking for help, and there are a number of very qualified very generous people who are not only quite proficient with pgsql, but they are donating their time to help you (in this case by letting you know your SQL was poorly written) and to thank them with anger and sarcasm is not only ungrateful, but quite rude. Not to mention the large number of people who probably took the time to read that post only to find out that they've wasted a (small, admittedly) portion of their day to read your drivel.

The two things I've learned from this group are PostgreSQL is an excellent piece of software, capable of many things, and the PostgreSQL community is an amazing group, also capable of many things, one of which is selflessly giving their time to help the users of this list. Even the ungrateful ones like you, or the lazy ones that haven't heard of google, or people like me. With a lack of experience and a lack of formal training, this group has managed to help me build a decent data mine solution, something I would have been unable to do without them.

Now that I'm done ranting, let me just reiterate. Thank you to everybody who has helped me, and anybody else coming to this list seeking guidance. I'm sorry that not everybody appreciates it.

On a side note, everytime I hit reply to try to post back to the list, the reply-to is set to the original sender of the message, not the list address, and since this is opposite behavior to the other mailing lists I participate in, I often forget and send a message straight to the previous poster. If I have sent a long diatribe meant for somebody else to you, I apologize :-)

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster