Search Postgresql Archives

Re: ERROR: out of memory

On Nov 16, 2007 1:48 AM, Anton <anton200@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My machine has 2G RAM. And I want make postgres utilize it...

You're trying to tune your database based on philosophy.  Making
postgresql use all the RAM may or may not make your machine run
faster.  The OS caches a lot of data for you, so having postgresql do
that as well may or may not speed things up.   By the way, in my
experience, 768Meg is a reasonable number for shared_buffers for a 2
Gig machine.  Most of the time anyway.

And like Erik said, 512Meg maintenance_work_mem is way too much on a 2
gig machine.  What's your work_mem set to?  I'd be worried you might
have that cranked up too high as well.  On my box, btw, anything over
16Megs is slower on most big queries than 16Megs.