Search Postgresql Archives

Re: XML schema

On Nov 15, 2007 6:20 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sean Davis wrote:
> > Is the current XML datatype (in 8.3) the direction of the
> > future, or is something more akin to a dedicated XML schema (I think
> > this is the route that Oracle has gone) going to be important?
>
> An XML schema is a specification that describes required properties of an XML
> document.  How do you imagine that affecting PostgreSQL database system
> operations?

Thanks, Peter.

An unfortunate choice of words on my part.  I meant a schema that
represents a general mapping between XML and a relational schema.  In
other words, I am looking for tools that use postgresql as the storage
engine for a native XML database.  Examples are given here:

http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLDatabaseProds.htm#native

Sean

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster